Good News Sydney

Thoughts, directions, and vision of the Sydney church plant.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

When it comes down to Faith

So, I awoke early in the morning to help one of our little ones to the washroom. Then I realized that falling back to sleep was going to be a struggle. My mind was going full-tilt with thoughts of a new baby on the way, the call on our lives to start Harbour Wesleyan, and some other important things. Faith: This is a key ingredient to living life as a follower of Christ. This is a defining factor in the face of adversity, challenge, mistakes, failings, temptation, etc... I am reminded of this as I was awakened in the wee hours this morning. Different voices in my mind vying for position, for mastery over me. The granddaddy of them all, fear, wants control. I guess that is why, way back, I chose 2Timothy1:7 as my life's verse..."For God did not give us a spirit of fear, but of power, love, and self-discipline." Even then I realized that fear and faith do not coexist. They are mutually exclusive. I have learned that God's love casts out fear and replaces it with a relationship that fills me with faith. I know that Christ will lead me through the places of doubt and insecurity into the higher places of assurance (not self-assurance by the way) and confidence.

So, this morning, the voices in my head come. They want to rule me. I will stay firm in my trust in Christ and His call in my life because it is His true love that is more real than any of the things I have to worry about. It is love and direction that will take us through the realities that cause worry. As he says in Matthew 6 (paraphrase) I feed the birds and clothe the lillies of the field...how much more do I love you!...of course I will make sure you are taken care of. I have faith that those words are true. It is faith that brought us to Sydney and it is by faith through God's unmerited favor that He will sustain us! Writing is good for the soul, I remember truth as I sit and write these thoughts down!


- Michael

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 9:24 a.m., Blogger Tim Guptill said...

Hi Mike,

Keep up the great blogging...it's a great way for people like me to stay connected with your ministry...we are very interested in what God is up to in Sydney. Hang in there, see you at Beulah!

Tim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home